Reading time: 3–5 minutes
Linking your Google Ads and Merchant Center account is a necessary step to take if you want to set up Shopping campaigns. In this article we explain how to link the two accounts together.
Link your Google Ads and Merchant Center accounts
You first need a Google Merchant Center account. If you don’t already have one, you can create a new Merchant Center Account by navigating to https://merchants.google.com/ and signing up for a Merchant Center Account with a Google account.
Once you have a Google Merchant Center account, you are ready to link the accounts.
- Request link to Google Ads from the Merchant Center
You can link a single Google Ads account to multiple Google Merchant Center accounts, or multiple Google Ads accounts to a single Google Merchant Center account. The link is always created from the Merchant Center.
Steps to link to other Google Ads accounts:
- Navigate to Linked accounts under Settings from the Tools icon in your Merchant Center.
- Select Google Ads.
- Click Link account under Other Google Ads accounts.
- Enter the Google Ads customer ID of the account to link.
- Click on Send link request.
Please note that you need admin access to your Google Ads account and need to be a Merchant Center account user to link with the Google Merchant Center.
If your Google Ads account is already added at a multi-client account level, you can follow these steps to link your Google Ads account:
- Go to Tools, Settings, Linked accounts in your Merchant Center.
- Select Google Ads.
- Locate the Google Ads customer ID of the account to link.
- Click on Link, which you can find under Actions.
- Approve the link request in your Google Ads account
- After signing into your Google Ads account, navigate to the Tools icon, Settings, Linked accounts.
- Find the Google Merchant Center, and click Details.
- Click View request in the Actions column to see the request details of the account you want to link. You should see Needs your approval in the Status column.
- Click Approve to approve the link or Reject to reject the link.
You can find the new account link requests in your Google Ads account: Go to Tools and settings, Setup, Linked accounts.
Cancel or unlink your Google Ads and Google Merchant Center accounts
After you have successfully linked Google Merchant Center and Google Ads accounts, it is possible to cancel or resend a link request from the Google Merchant Center or to unlink an account. This can be done from either the Google Merchant Center or Google Ads.
- Cancel a link request: navigate to Tools, Settings, Linked accounts in the Merchant Center, and click Cancel request in the Google Ads tab.
- Unlink accounts: go to Tools, Settings, Linked accounts in the Merchant Center, and navigate to Your Google Ads account or Other Google Ads accounts. Click Unlink for the relevant account.
You can also unlink accounts from your Google Ads account. Go to Tools, Setup, Linked accounts. Click on Details under Google Merchant Center, and find the account you want to unlink. Click Unlink.
Some important things to know about linking your Google Merchant Center and Google Ads accounts
- The accounts begin to share information once the Google Ads account owner approves the request. Google Ads statistics, such as clicks, will then be visible in the linked Google Merchant Center, and the Merchant Center product information will be accessible in Google Ads to help create campaigns.
- The link between the two accounts can be removed at any time by the Google Ads account owners and the admin or standard Google Merchant Center users. An owner or user of one account cannot make changes to the other linked account unless they are also an owner or user of that account.
- Please be careful with the account link. If you remove it, the Shopping campaigns will no longer receive data from the Google Merchant Center account and will be unable to serve ads. New Google Ad campaigns that use product data from this Merchant Center cannot be created if you remove the account link.
We hope this article has been helpful. If you have any questions about linking your Google Merchant Center and Google Ads accounts, please contact us today at email@example.com.